Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: The End of an Eventful Year!


2008 Yarger Family Newsletter

Dear Family & Friends:

What a difference a year makes! Last year at this time we were a completely stressed out engaged couple who were burnt out from coordinating strenuous wedding plans. Since that time we have gotten married, honeymooned, moved out of state, had numerous jobs, had a pregnancy that ended too soon, been the victims of identity theft, attended a professional basketball game (Clippers vs. stupid Lakers), baseball game (Mariners vs. Angels) and football game (Packers vs. Vikings), went to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Six Flags, and of course the beach lots of times… and we are currently planning the arrival of the newest addition to our family. All and all, it has been an excellent year.

Thoughts from Jesse the Husband:
The past year, as shown above, has been full of the good, the bad and the ugly. There were only two things that remained consistent in our lives. Those two things were inconsistency and love. We all know what it is like to have inconsistencies throughout our lives, but what is love?
We have all heard the cliché “there is no I in team,” but I respectfully disagree. I believe that marriage is a team, and obviously the fundamental component is love. Love begins with the conviction a person receives in their heart, and the choice of whether or not to act on that conviction, whether it is easy or hard. I believe the “team” Alicia and I have put together started with two “I’s” who chose to act on that conviction. There are times when I have had the worst day and Ali is waiting with love in her heart and choosing to love her grumpy, stubborn husband even though I know it’s hard sometimes. There have been times when our sweet baby was giving Ali such an awful time, that she was hardly functional. “I” chose to make her dinner and clean the room so she could be more comfortable. Alicia’s “I” and my “I” have made an incredible “we”, but we couldn’t do it without the unique, individual “I” efforts from both of us. There are times when the strengths on one “I” is counted on to carry the “we” and those “I’s” do so with joyous hearts of love. I can write this knowing full well that I love Alicia with all my heart and my unborn child who I can’t wait to hold for the first time. Merry Christmas and God bless.
P.S. If you are reading this letter, we love you and appreciate all that you have done for our “we”.

Thoughts from Alicia the Wife:
First of all, I have to comment that Jesse wrote the introductory paragraph for our newsletter, which explains the “stupid Lakers.” I, on the other hand, happen to think the Lakers are very smart to make it to the NBA, that’s kind of like my MBA, right?
Sorry, just had to add the “Parkinson” humor in here.
On a more serious note, this has been the most amazing year of my life. Although we’ve had our fair share of trials, I now have an incredibly strong, caring, loving, and compassionate husband to help me through anything. I feel truly blessed, and I can definitely say that it was worth the wait for me to find someone like Jesse. This year I recall LOTS of sickness. I think I have been sick more this year than the past 10 years of my life all combined. Most of the sickness has been pregnancy related, so it’s for a good cause. Jesse the Husband has become my caretaker and does such a great job of helping out so that I can take time out to rest.
This year I went through the takeover of WaMu, a bank I have worked for, for nearly 10 years. They are now known as JP Morgan Chase. They were one of the first fatalities in the economic crisis so prevalent in the year 2008. I decided to venture in to other fields and picked up a second job at the Behavioral Learning Center, where Jesse works, and where I now work 3 afternoons a week with autistic children. I have 3 clients and I LOVE them! This has been such an enjoyable place to work. I also applied to teach a Business course at the college here, College of the Canyons. I was hired at the last minute, a day after classes had begun, to teach an Intro to Investments course. This was definitely a challenge and kept me VERY busy, but it turned out to be the most rewarding job I’ve ever had. I grew quite attached to my students and was sad to see them go at the end of the semester. The college is soooo nice to their employees as well. I always feel so respected and appreciated there, even though I look like one of the students, instead of the instructor. All my students are so excited for our baby to be born. I even had them help with names (although we came up with hers all on our own).
I am so happy and can’t wait for the arrival of our newest family member coming in February… Avrille Carmel Yarger

We hope your 2009 is blessed with many memories.

1 comments:

Wife and Mother said...

Wow! Sounds like a heck of a year. Congratulations and good luck!