Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Canal Breaks

Tragedy struck the neighborhood where my parents live this past Saturday. The canal above the 'island' neighborhood broke, causing a landslide and the collapse of a home. Several other homes were flooded and the area was evacuated. There was a mother and her two children residing in the home that collapsed. I learned today that so far two of the bodies have been recovered. This just breaks my heart. My parents and Jared were volunteers in the clean up crew. They have some pictures on their blog: www.sparkinsons.blogspot.com.


Since Jared works at the Herald Journal he was able to send me a couple pictures from the local newspaper. This is a shot taken of the canal where it completely drops off. This is so incredible. I used to run parallel to this canal every day (now I'm just getting back in to the habit of running since taking care of Avril has been plenty of exercise for me).


This rescue fireman's name is Casey Crockett. I don't think he's related to me (Crockett cousins, you'll have to let me know). Jesse works with this fireman at the hospital in the Behavioral Health Unit. He's quite the do-gooder.

For more pics and a video click the link: www.hjnews.com/photography/2009/07/11/landslide/

3 comments:

Andrew Cardon said...

That is terrible! I wonder what caused it to collapse like that? Do you have a link to the original story?

Ali Andrus said...

Andrew-
Here is the original article on ksl's website:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7125186
I'm not sure what caused the collapse, they don't really say. So sad though...

Anonymous said...

How incredibly sad. Good for you guys for helping out.